29 September 2010

Things I learned about myself today...


1. I could quite possibly be the "jumpiest" person on the planet.  We watched Signs tonight.  It seriously wasn't even scary by my terms, and I hate scary movies.  So it doesn't make sense that it heightens my jumpiness.  I am already easily startled so after watching a movie like that it's extreme... Like tonight- our friend scares us by opening the door quickly and yelling, and I proceed to not just yelp but to do an ugly little girl dance and throw my keys.  Why? I don't know... Apparently that's how my body responds to stress.  That'll be super helpful if it's ever not a friend just joking around, right? Wrong!


2. I am most definitely the weirdest car dancer ever, but I find a LOT of genuine joy in doing it... especially to T. Swift. 


3. I really love good analogies for spiritual things like our college pastor tonight comparing the Israelites journey out of slavery into idolatry as a dating relationship.  It makes sooooo much more sense to me now! I never knew the Ten Commandments were the DTR... the law now makes 100% more sense to me than it did in the last 22 years of being in church.  That's all it took was comparing it to my girl language, and it's like the fog has lifted.


4. I really really really really really love my job... It's exhausting at times.  It's frustrating and messy, and I'm not very good at it yet.  But I love getting to be available to students.  I love facilitating environments where community is built.  I love that people are beginning to trust me here.  I love that God is moving in their lives, and I get to be a tiny part of it. 


5. When I hear sermons like I did tonight that challenge me and rub me raw and leave me feeling a little wounded, I miss home.  I miss family and friends who can finish my sentences.  I miss feeling like it's okay to be a mess.  Homesickness and feeling vulnerable seem to be directly linked.  Maybe I could just find a way to avoid both of those, but I'm thinking it's not very likely. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post Becca. Miss you so so much.

brittanybaker said...

Two things I want to say about this post:

1. I love your analogies. I will never think of marinating something in the same way again and I love that.

2. I am SO thankful that you are available. You are already way better at this job than you will ever allow yourself to believe. Your friendship is so precious, and I am lucky to know you.

Jill said...

I am excited that God is working in your life, I know you are where you are suppose to be but you are MISSED at home. Mama

Between You and Me said...

i'm so glad the ten commandments make sense now that andy spoke in our girl language.

and i agree with brittany about everything she said...i love the marinating analogy, too.

Post a Comment