08 August 2010

"When we get too caught up in the busyness of the world, we lose connection with one another- and ourselves."
Jack Kornfield


Tomorrow I head back "home" to Orlando... This week at home has been fabulous, restless, refreshing- couldn't have asked for a better break....But more than ever, I'm positive that Orlando is the place I should be right now.  Do I miss so many people here? Absolutely! Did I get to see even half of them? Not really.  Am I ready to be back in the land of fun in the sun? Can't wait.


My only reservation:: busyness


I start my counseling degree at Asbury Seminary on Wednesday morning with an intensive class (5 days of class 9 am to 5 pm) with a hefty little paper due 11 days later.  This wouldn't be a big deal and really it isn't... except school starts at the campus where I'm the brand new freshmen ministry director for the Wesley Foundation the next week...  Some of you may not understand campus ministry, but here's a clue- the first few weeks of school are overload! So with staff retreats, meetings, class, books, leadership weekends, welcome week, small groups, papers, etc.  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.  Yes I'm fearful of not making great grades.  Yes I'm fearful of stumbling through some important weeks at Wesley.  Yes I'm scared I'll have an emotional breakdown.  But fear number one... forgetting God.  Missing out on the one who called me  is calling me to pursue a counseling degree, who is calling me to minister to the freshmen He brings.  I don't want to live life in my own strength.  Doing life on my own is ugly and wasteful.



The Sunday I moved to Florida a man I greatly look up to in my home church read Proverbs 3:5-6 over me.  Growing up in church all my life, I can quote you this verse without a moment's hesitation, but I heard what those words meant for maybe the first time on June 7, 2010...


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

The solution to missing Christ in my busyness is plainly there... but not simply lived. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment